We now live in a time when our first instinct is to turn to the web whenever we’re considering buying something. We perform an online search on the brand or go directly to the company’s website. Even when other people make recommendations via peer-to-peer marketing,...
When you make a website and want other people to see it, you will need to publish (or upload) it with a web hosting service.
Web hosting services work by storing your website files in high-powered computers (web servers) connected to a very fast network. When someone types in your web address (such as www.midphase.com), the Internet connects to the web server holding your website files and then transfers your website information back to their computer. From there they can surf and view the pages of your website.
Anything related to managing these servers and its software, security, support, bandwidth, speed and so much more, is what we are all about! Because we provide web hosting services to over a million websites, we have special data centers that are built from the ground up to serve the purpose of web hosting.
Before we jump into the different types of web hosting, it’s important to remember you have to have a domain name so your website can be found on the Internet. The domain name is essentially your company’s Internet address; the same way your company’s street address is used to find your offices, a domain name is used to find your website. Considering this, pick a domain name that’s memorable and relevant!
Since domains are so simple, buying them is too. Using our domain registration services, you can get a domain for just $9.49/year! Our website builder and web hosting packages include a free domain name, and makes it easier to link the domain name and the website together.
Types of Web Hosting
As technology has progressed different types of web hosting have appeared to meet the different needs of websites and customers:
Shared Web Hosting
Shared web hosting is the most common type of web hosting, and is also the easiest to start out on. Shared hosting is a service where one server is shared between many customers. This typically offers the following advantages and disadvantages:
- It’s cheaper – you don’t need to pay for the whole server upfront.
- It’s easier to use – the server is preconfigured with the most popular options and your hosting company will take care of any maintenance and security updates for you.
- You share the server resources with your neighbors – if one site becomes really busy it may affect (and slow down) all other sites on that server.
- It can be less flexible – like living in a shared apartment block your neighbors need to be considered. Similar to exclusions on keeping pets or throwing wild parties (but less fun), you probably won’t be able to block a specific port or modify a core component.
Because shared web hosting is the most common type of web hosting, most hosting companies simply refer to it as web hosting or website hosting. Midphase shared web hosting comes with the most preferred operating system: Linux website hosting.
Our website builder is the easiest way to build a website and get online. The site builder provides hundreds of professionally designed templates that can be completely customized to make your website exactly they way you want it; no prior experience necessary. The website builder includes a free domain name and a web hosting account that is setup automatically.
The website builder solution has the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Easiest way to get online – With no additional learning required and hundreds of included templates, you’ll be online in no time.
- Professional results at a low cost – Paying a good web designer to create a website you’re proud to share can cost a lot of money, especially if a mobile site is included; the Midphase Website Builder gives you all that for a low monthly cost and gives you the opportunity to edit your site anytime.
- Large ecommerce websites are tricky – Although you can sell products and services with the website builder, it can get tricky if you have hundreds of products in which you are selling online.
- Highly custom website functionality is hard – Although you have the ability to embed code and change the code for your website, it can be hard to do highly custom stuff with scrolling, HTML5, image display, etc. If you don’t know how to do it now, then it won’t be a problem when you use the online website builder software.
Cloud hosting is essentially a meeting place half way between shared hosting and dedicated hosting, yet has some pretty cool advantages as well. Cloud servers still share the physical server hardware with other cloud servers, but special virtualization technology partitions, or splits-up, the physical hardware so that each cloud server has its own dedicated resources and can be configured almost like a fully dedicated server.
VPS customers still share the physical server hardware with other VPS customers, but special virtualizationtechnology partitions the server so that each partition has its own dedicated resources and can be configured almost like a full dedicated server.
This typically offers the following advantages and disadvantages:
- Get the most flexibility – cloud servers provide the most flexible environment available in the hosting sphere. The cloud adapts to physical hardware problems and puts your site in a reliable location automatically. It also offers a fast and seamless upgrade option for those times when website traffic gets high.
- Your website will have dedicated resources – with dedicated bandwidth, CPU and memory. So even though you are sharing server equipment with your neighbors, you are not sharing the resources that you purchased. That way, those high traffic neighbors sharing the same equipment won’t be stealing your server resources when you need them for your business.
- Fewer websites occupy the same server – your website will have more resources at its disposal than shared web hosting.
- Freedom to configure your server – the virtualization software provides much more freedom to make your server they way you want it; but it also assumes a higher level of technical experience.
Midphase provides cloud servers that are fully managed and optimized to perform at peak levels to handle the extra traffic your website brings. Using the latest cloud hosting technology your site will thank you when it’s in the cloud.
Dedicated server hosting is the meat of hosting. Just like it sounds, you get your own server and all its resources, dedicated to you for your use and no one else. It’s the difference between living in an apartment building and sharing that building with others, compared to living in your own mansion. Dedicated hosting typically offers the following advantages and disadvantages.
- Flexiblility & customization – you can choose the exact hardware and software specifications of the server to meet your needs.
- Dedicated resources and guaranteed performance – you don’t share your server resources with anyone else.
- Full control – you have full root access to your dedicated servers and can configure and tweak your setup to meet your needs.
- Prior technical knowledge is required – it will be your responsibility to manage and configure the server.
- More expensive – the cost of the server isn’t shared with any other customers.
Midphase offers a full range of dedicated server hosting from cheap servers for low level lifting to top of the range high performance unmanaged hosting. Check out the specs now.